Skip to main content
background shape

Who are DSAs for?

28 Apr 2020

You may claim the DSA in addition to your student finance loans and grants to cover any extra study-related costs you incur due to an impairment, mental health condition, or learning difficulty. It is neither a benefit nor a loan, so it doesn’t need repaying. The amount you’ll receive depends on your individual needs not on your income, nor that of your parents or partner. There are some restrictions on what you may use your DSA for, so check the details below carefully.

The DSA is available to both full-time and part-time students, those on unpaid sandwich courses, open and distance students, and those on postgraduate courses. You may apply for a DSA even if you have already taken a higher education course, although you can’t apply for more than one at a time.

Am I eligible?
You are eligible for a DSA if you meet all the following criteria:
• You are taking a full-time or part-time undergraduate or postgraduate course in the UK (including Open University and distance learning courses) that lasts at least one year.
• You normally live in the UK.
• You qualify for student finance.
• You can prove you have a disability, medical condition, sensory impairment, mental health condition, or specific learning difficulty which affects your ability to study.

Find out more on the government website: